Growth Milestones in Eastern Spot-billed Duck Ducklings: Jumping Down Ledges, Walking Beneath Their Mother, and Late-Season Family Observations

As the breeding season draws toward its end, dramatic rescue scenes become less common, replaced by quieter moments that reveal how ducklings continue developing their physical abilities and confidence. These ordinary-looking behaviors can be just as valuable as rare events because they document gradual changes that are only apparent through continuous observation.


This record follows several Eastern Spot-billed Duck families during a single day of field observation. Among the most memorable moments are a duckling confidently jumping down a small ledge and another calmly walking beneath its mother's body—small behaviors that beautifully illustrate both growing independence and the close bond between mother and offspring.





---


## Main Species Featured


### カルガモ

- English: Eastern Spot-billed Duck

- Scientific name: *Anas zonorhyncha*

- A resident duck throughout East Asia. Long-term observation of family groups reveals gradual behavioral development that can easily be overlooked during casual visits.


### アカミミガメ

- English: Red-eared Slider

- Scientific name: *Trachemys scripta elegans*

- An introduced freshwater turtle frequently found in Japanese rivers. Algae often grow on the shell of older individuals, creating miniature ecosystems on their backs.


### コイ

- English: Common Carp

- Scientific name: *Cyprinus carpio*

- A large freshwater fish that often gathers where people regularly provide food, making it an indicator of long-term changes in human activity along the river.


### アオサギ

- English: Grey Heron

- Scientific name: *Ardea cinerea*

- One of the largest herons in Japan and an important predator within river ecosystems.


---


## Field Observation Record


The survey began downstream after repeated searches failed to locate any duck families within the usual breeding area. During the breeding season, family groups frequently change resting locations, making daily searches unpredictable. Even after years of observation, finding a particular family often depends on patience and a bit of luck.


An interesting encounter early in the walk involved a Red-eared Slider whose shell was densely covered with green algae. While algae-covered turtles are not unusual, this individual appeared almost furry from a distance. After diving into slightly cloudy water, the turtle seemed to continue foraging underwater, although visibility prevented closer observation. Such prolonged underwater feeding behavior is difficult to watch closely, making the brief encounter memorable.


Another seasonal sign appeared in an adult Eastern Spot-billed Duck entering its annual molt. Missing flight feathers had become noticeable, reminding me that the breeding season was progressing toward its final stage. Watching the same population throughout the year makes these seasonal transitions easier to recognize.


Nearby, Common Carp gathered in unusually high numbers. This particular section of the river has long been associated with people feeding carp, and the fish still congregate there accordingly. However, compared with previous years, the number of carp attracted to this location has noticeably declined. Similar reductions have also become apparent below the nearby weir, another place where carp once gathered densely. While this observation alone cannot explain the reason, it may reflect changes in local feeding habits by visitors. Long-term daily observation occasionally reveals these subtle environmental changes that would otherwise go unnoticed.


The day's most rewarding discovery came when the family identified as Of2-21 was finally located after an extended search.


One particularly informative moment occurred as the family approached a small ledge. The mother descended first in a smooth, confident movement, followed shortly afterward by one of the ducklings successfully jumping down the drop. Although the obstacle was relatively small, these minor challenges likely contribute to the gradual development of balance, coordination, and confidence as the ducklings mature.


Another unexpected behavior became apparent only while reviewing footage during editing. One duckling quietly walked directly beneath its mother's body, passing between her legs before continuing onward. The behavior lasted only a moment and was easy to miss in real time, illustrating how careful review of continuous video records often reveals behaviors unnoticed during filming. Such close physical positioning may simply reflect the duckling's confidence around its mother while navigating through vegetation.


After descending the ledge, the family disappeared into dense riverside vegetation. Interestingly, although the ducks consistently chose an open section without tall grass when climbing or descending the bank, they vanished immediately after entering the vegetation and did not reappear despite waiting nearby. Their precise routes through riverside cover remain difficult to determine from visual observation alone.


Later, another family, If4-55, was encountered. The ducklings had grown considerably since earlier observations, and seeing the entire family together suggested that opportunities to document them might soon become less frequent as the young birds approached independence.


Toward the end of the survey, family Tf8-51 was located. However, the ducklings remained widely dispersed, and only five young birds could be confirmed before the family moved away. Even after returning later in the day, they were no longer present.


Overall, the day's footage was surprisingly short compared with many previous surveys. As the season advances, locating family groups becomes increasingly difficult because the ducklings are older, more mobile, and no longer restricted to predictable nursery areas. Rather than reflecting reduced activity, shorter recordings may simply document this seasonal shift in detectability.


Although dramatic events often attract the most attention, today's observations highlight another equally important aspect of long-term wildlife documentation: recording ordinary moments of growth. Small achievements—such as confidently negotiating a ledge or quietly passing beneath a parent's body—provide valuable evidence of behavioral development that becomes meaningful only when viewed within the context of continuous daily observation.


---


## About the Observation Codes


Each observation includes two original identification systems developed for this long-term project.


- Date Codes (for example, 0727F) indicate the filming date and preserve the chronological sequence of observations.

- Duck Family Codes (for example, Of2-21) identify individual mother ducks and record the number and age of their ducklings, allowing the same families to be followed across multiple days or weeks.


Together, these codes make it possible to reconstruct family histories and compare behavioral changes over time using continuous video evidence.


A detailed explanation of these observation codes is available here:


https://okasinaikimono.blogspot.com/p/welcome-to-wild-duck-diaries.html


---


This article is based on continuous day-by-day field observations recorded over many years. The interpretations presented here reflect personal observations made by a dedicated wildlife observer rather than conclusions from formal scientific research. Because each video is published according to its actual filming date, the archive also functions as chronological evidence documenting seasonal changes and individual animal behavior across time.


00:00 Highlights (unordered) 03:01 Red-eared slider with a mossy, fluffy shell ❤ ✨ * Personally, I like plush toys, but I dislike ignoring the natural traits of living creatures… However, seeing this made me think, “Could I actually fluff this turtle!?” When it dove into the slightly murky water, it became harder to see, but it seemed to be foraging—a rare behavior to witness in turtles, so I wanted to see more. * Still can’t find any duck families… I was hoping to see キf3, so I’m walking downstream from the parenting zone. 04:11 Eastern spot-billed duck starting major molt—wing feathers falling out * I was curious which part the black sections of the feather pattern belonged to. I think they’re the borders around the blue speculum, but not sure. 04:45 Carp and spot-billed ducks * Sometimes feeding is aimed at carp instead of ducks, and those spots are usually fixed—this is one of them. The carp gather densely here, making it obvious. The same happens below the weir where catfish feeding occurs. Interestingly, the number of carp gathering has decreased compared to before → less carp feeding happening. Noticing these changes is part of the fun of filming continuously. Personally, I’m not fond of it and prefer seeing them not influenced by humans… which is why I don’t often visit this area or the upper stream where I’ve been seeing this more recently. * After this, I walked further downstream but saw nothing. Got a great walk in, though, so heading back lol. 05:16 Grey heron flying away 05:31 “Duck samba” – 3 adult ducks, but they acted distant from each other, so I filmed them out of curiosity. 05:55 オf2-21 found! * Double-checked to make sure it wasn’t ケf2. Confirmed オf2. * Up until now I hadn’t seen any duck families, so I decided to walk above the floodgate casually… and there they were! I had checked on the way out too, so this was lucky. 06:44 ★ オf2 going down a step—smooth! ✨ 06:57 ★ Ducklings walking under mother’s legs ❤ * I only noticed this while editing the digest, so I added it in ❤! Often when making shorts, I notice things for the first time then. * Then they disappeared into the bushes. When they go down, they use the grassless wall edges… I tried circling around to wait, but they never appeared. Mysterious. 08:20 Upstream at the weir… イf4-55 08:52 イf4 ducklings have grown up so well. * They gathered nicely, so I watched them thinking this might be the last time. 11:13 Tf8-51 found, but moving separately. Confirmed up to 5 ducklings. ▲▲▲ End of timestamps * So… under 10 minutes of footage today 💦 When editing and making these timestamps, I usually pick 3 minutes for highlights first—but condensing this into 3 minutes might actually be harder lol. I’ll try to make it flow like a fast-paced nature clip. Duck families are getting really hard to find now. I might end the daily uploads for a while. I’ll check upstream tomorrow, but after that, until a new family arrives, I plan to lower the frequency of these quick-update videos. (I’ll still shoot daily since I enjoy it as part of my walk, and I’ll keep checking the parenting zone to downstream every day. But if it’s just sparrows bathing, or Tf8 but not all together, or only relaxed kingfishers… I probably won’t make videos for those.) Saying that probably means a new family will be born soon though 💦 * To keep track of the many duck families, I use the mother duck’s wing (tertial feather) patterns and code system. [List here ↓] https://okasinaikimono.blogspot.com/2025/07/0727f.html

Comments